Pages

Monday, October 4, 2010

Bread and Butter Cucumbers

Since I don't have historical facts to share today, I thought I'd share my mother-in-law's bread and butter pickle recipe. They've been a favorite in our family for the 43 years my husband and I have been married and longer. If you like to can, I hope you'll give this recipe a try.

Bread and Butter Pickles

1 gallon cucumbers, sliced.
2 sweet green peppers, chopped
 8 small onions, chopped.

Put 1/2 C. of sack salt over cucumbers and cover with cracked ice. Allow to sit for 3 hours. Drain well and make syrup as follows:

5 cups sugar
3 C. apple cider vinegar
2 T. mustard seed
1 1/2 t. powdered tumeric
1/2 t. powdered cloves
1/2 t. powdered cinnamon

Bring to a boil. Drop in onions, peppers, and drained cucumbers. Heat to scalding hot, but do not boil. Seal in jars. (Cook in enamel ware or stainless steel pot. Do not use aluminum.) Chill pickles before eating for crispness.

Enjoy the pickles.

Linda
http://www.lindalaroque.com/
http://www.lindalaroqueauthor.blogspot.com/

No comments: