Thursday, April 22, 2010

What makes you happy?

With the final melting of the ever present snow in my front yard - after all, I live in upstate NY - I find myself feeling happier, lighter, more carefree and ready to experience everything out there that I can! Ok, I may be exaggerating a bit as I do still tend to have those days where things just aren't....well, perfect.

But then I think about what makes me happy. What it is about life that can bring a smile to my face?

Well, there's the enjoyment of seeing your name on the cover of a book - see mine
below! Yea!

This certainly brings a smile to my face. But there's many other things in life that give me reason to smile.
1) My kids, hubby, and family
2) My dog - she is a bundle of hyper tension and excitement!
3) My blessings - home, job, etc.
4) My creativity - even on those days where my Muse Mistress takes a break.
5) My friends -especially my best friend an
d fellow author, Holly Greenfield.
6) My health and the health of my family
7) Just being alive.


There's so many others to think of, but this is my mini-list I use to remind myself of things to be happy for on those days where it feels like everything has gone wrong. And believe me, I have those days. Who doesn't?

I firmly believe that we make our day what it is by the attitude we carry with us. If I wake up with the worst attitude, or let a brief moment of irritation ruin my mood, then my day is shot to
negativity. And believe me, working in customer service as I do, there are MANY moments of irritation (don't tell my boss). But if I can try to focus on the things that make me happy, I can move past those moments and be positive again.

So let's take a minute and think about what makes us smile. Tell me - what are your happy thoughts? No trying to fly now, please. :)



Available now at The Wild Rose Press
Lover's Bargain - a historical romance

Blurb:

Desperate to be free of her wretched life, Mattie Evans trusts her dishonest father and embarks on a journey to Texas to live with an aunt she never knew she had. When she finds herself sold into a mail-order-bride service, her hope quickly fades.


Rancher Cole Hartley wants no part of long-term commitment. But what's wrong with a little satisfaction in the arms of a beautiful woman? Especially when she needs his help to escape a hopeless situation. Cole proposes a bargain to Mattie. He'll pay her release fee and send her wherever she wants to go the following day. The catch? She spends one night as his wife -- in his bed.


As feelings long buried surface, can Mattie and Cole open their eyes to the promise of happiness a future together can bring?


Thanks for visiting with me today!
Shannon Robinson
http://www.shannonrobinson.com

14 comments:

Tanya Hanson said...

Hi Shannon, it's so great to share Lawmen and Outlaws with you!

What makes me happy?

Hmmmm. Well, an editor liking and buying my work.

The wild squirrel who comes to our door for nuts.

My three-year old grandson saying, I love you gramma.

Most of all, good health! My hubby and personal hero is a two-year testicular cancer survivor.

Glory hallelujah!

Paisley Kirkpatrick said...

Hearing the voice of someone I love, getting a hug and hearing my CP saying "this is the best chapter you've written yet!"

Jason Barret said...

Your point is well taken, Shannon, and thank you for reminding me of the real important things in life. So many times I get caught up with a uncooperative contractor or a difficult job and let it ruin my day. I try to remind myself that the job is just the means to an end, and that end is our family. I know the difficulty is finite in regards to time and magnatude but sometimes I forget. So thanks for reminding me of the important things in life and helping me stay grounded.

Collette Thomas said...

When I wake up and the sun is shining, it immediately puts me into a pretty good mood. Then after a good breakfast, checking my emails, getting in some writing, taking my puppy for her walk also adds to my overall sense of contentment. Spending time with my family and friends. And besides writing my stories, doing what I most love doing--dancing--which I plan to do over the weekend.

I love the covers of your books Shannon!

Collette Thomas

Paty Jager said...

Happiness to me is time with family, writing, and spending time outdoors.

Shannon Robinson said...

Tanya - I'm so happy to be sharing the anthology with you too!

Paisley - me too! I love getting praise for my writing - makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside!

Jason - isn't that the truth? It's so hard to stay positive on the job. I have many difficult customers that make me want to pull my hair out - and I always have to reaffirm why I need to be in employment. Just like you said - family.

Collette - dancing is such a wonderful avenue of escape, isn't it? Lately I've been taking Zumba classes - which is an aerobic dance and it is so much fun. Even though I'm sweating, it is so relaxing.

Paty - I'm a big fan of the outdoors too! Love to hike, kayak, camp, and be with the family.

Thanks to you all for posting and sharing with me today!
Shannon

Liz Flaherty said...

Thanks for the reminder, Shannon!

Shannon Robinson said...

You're very welcome, Liz!

Susan Gabriel said...

I only have to step out my door to be reminded of what makes me happy because the canvas of my world is painted with the blue sky and the purple majesty of the Rocky Mountains. How lucky I am to live here amongst one of the wonders of the world.
I have lived many places in my life, from New York to Europe, but nowhere has ever been as awe-inspiring as Colorado.
We have over 300 days of sunny weather and even when the skies turn dark, there is always the unending vista of the mountain range, standing massive, and never-changing which seems to say, "Behold me and stand firm in the strength of the universe."

L M Gonzalez said...

Happiness to me is being outside looking at the trees and flowers. Sometimes, I wish I had more time to spend outdoors, just walking in nature.

Shannon, thanks for reminding me of happy moments.

Your book sounds interesting.I like mail-order bride stories.

Deborah Schneider said...

My son used to say, "I have good days, and better days, but I don't have bad days." For someone who struggled with kidney disease since birth, had two transplants, had been in dialysis and was in pain every single day, this was a miracle.

Garth is still my inspiration, ("Promise Me" is dedicated to his memory). I look at his photo every single day and remember how precious his life was, and how he made everyone laugh.

There are days when everything seems to be going wrong, and the only thing you can control is your own attitude.

By the way, I grew up in Fulton, NY and went to State University at Oswego. Where in upstate NY are you?

Delle Jacobs said...

So wonderful to have such an inspiration, Deborah!

I have lots of the usual kinds of happiness- family, friends, writing, home, living in a beautiful, mild climate, etc.
But there are also those things that produce special surges of happiness. Today, I'm thinking:

1. Chatting with my daughters on Facebook, just because we can.

2. The bright pink rhody my son planted for me, blooming just beyond the deck.

3. Hubby calling to grouse about the price of his new glasses.

4. Son saving my rear when I got hacked.

5. Chatting (IM) yesterday with a young friend in Egypt who loves to tell me about his SCUBA diving.

6. Going to Starbucks with a writer friend. Just because. We don't have to have writing as an excuse.

7. Not having to go to work at a day job anymore.

8. Cleaning house because my daughter is coming to visit.

9. Spring in the Northwest. It's just so incredible!

Victoria Gray said...

Deborah, your post was so touching. What a remarkable, positive attitude!

In reading everyone's comments, I'm struck by how similar we are at heart. Family, home, time to write...as I've grown, my happiness is rooted around my home and my passions, including my family and writing love stories. I don't long for a grand house or fancy trips, but time to be with those I love and to do what I love. And I appreciate every minute of those times!

Thanks for sharing, Shannon. You book looks terrific!

Victoria

Caroline Clemmons said...

Shannon, thanks for your positive blog reminding us to be thankful for the important things in our lives. Your book sounds intriguing. I love, love, love a good western historical!